Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Teen Mom 2: From the Outside...

I almost never talk about my sister being on a TV show called Teen Mom 2.  This is a topic that just doesn't get brought up or really ever thought about.  But since my blog has been tweeted to bunches of Teen Mom 2 fans I thought I'd blog about being an "insider" on the outside of a reality TV show.  And I want to be clear: This will be the only time I ever discuss Teen Mom 2.  No, I will not answer any intimate questions about any member of my family.  No, I will not give out any gossip (not that there is any).

My maiden name is Houska, and Chelsea Houska is my youngest sister.  She is on an MTV reality show called Teen Mom 2.  If you don't watch it, it is a reality show about 4 young women who have had babies as teenagers.  You get to watch them experience all of the struggles that would normally come with life & relationships, but theirs have been made more complicated by being young mom's.

Anyway, It is assumed that since you don't see me or other family members/friends on the show that we don't exist.  And that's funny.  Chelsea has an entire family!  She is our sister/sister-in-law/aunt/cousin/niece/etc...  We have known her her entire life.  And this show is a very small part of our family story. Teen Mom 2 isn't about us, it's about Chelsea's journey through teen aged motherhood.  

My parents, Randy and Mary, have 4 daughters.  {You won't hear my dad complain about being surrounded by girls, he loved every second of being the "main man" in our lives when we were growing up.}  Our parents are divorced.  They are each very happy in their separate lives and each very involved in ours!



Angie holding baby Chelsea, Emily in the middle, and me.  September 1991

We come from a big family and have lots and lots of cousins, and were blessed to have the most amazing and most beautiful Grandma Sue!  My sisters and I all grew up in Vermillion, South Dakota, all in the same house.  Here is the break down:

Melissa/Me-  I am 32 years old.  Typical oldest child: I'm a perfectionist and early to everything.  My dad is a Dentist, my mom is a Dental Assistant, so it's not surprising that I grew up to become a Dental Hygienist.    

Angie- She is 30 years old and lives in Florida....vacation anyone??  She is a huge Nebraska Cornhuskers football fan, married to John, who is an attorney, and they have 2 children.  

Emily-  When my daughter began to talk she called Emily, "Emy", she still does and now so do I.  She is 24 years old and has 2 daughters.

Chelsea- The youngest;  21 years old, going to school for Cosmetology, and she has 1 daughter. 


Me and newborn Emy. August 1988.

So this makes me 2 1/2 years older than Angie, 8 years older than Emily, and 11 1/2 years older than Chelsea.  I remember our mom being pregnant with them and when they were born.  I babysat all. the. time.  Chelsea was just a preschooler when I was in high school and my friends thought that she was adorable, I just thought she was a pest.

Explaining what is is like to have a sister on an MTV reality show is..... **sigh**.... I don't really know how to explain it.  I'm sorry if this is disappointing, but I never really think about it, actually.  I can't really describe what it's like.  I mean, yeah it's weird to see my sister on TV and heartbreaking to watch her struggles air nationally, but at the end of the day, she's just my little sister.  And whether her struggles or triumphs air nationally on an MTV show or not, I'm still going to be there for her, along with the rest of her family.  I just choose to not be anywhere near the cameras or crew.  We have no desire to be on TV!  But regardless, we are still a family!


Christmas 1998


2006

But I do, however, love to blog!  Safely behind my computer, with my coffee, my daughter playing with her friends, and my husband napping on the couch.  No where near TV cameras.  So, yes, it is bizarre to see my parents and sister on TV, but it literally is forgotten the next day.  It just isn't a factor in our lives.  Chelsea is my sister, not an MTV star.  My dad is my dad, not "Randalicious."  And being on the outside of the cameras is exactly where I want to be!


2010 (Taken before baby Malea was born)

12 comments:

  1. It's very refreshing to read this. People seem to forget that they are just normal people, with normal lives.It's not some glamorous TV show where everything goes perfect. I applaud those girls for being brave enough to show their struggles and triumphs to the world, so that others may learn a thing or two.

    Thanks for sharing Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started watching the show when we heard Chelsea was on it just to see what it was like and to see your mom on national tv, then we got addicted to the show, not just to Chelsea, but to all the girls. My kids thought the show was cool cause when they showed your moms house they would say "We've been there!" or "I know a tv star". Unfortunately, Mary and I have lost touch. Remember the divorse, widowed seperated class?
    Jami McNear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I started watching Teen Mon 2 last season and I felt so connected to Chelsea. I had my daughter who is now 10 at a young age and what a coincidence that her name is Aubree too. I enjoy reading your blog but I don't see where I can click to join and follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I fixed it so that you can follow my blog. And Chelsea is relatable! :) She's very down-to-earth and easy to love!

      Delete
  4. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful about Dentist in Chelsea. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubree looks so much like Houska side!!! Love Chelsea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. although im a year and few months older than chelsea, see her going through what had gone through adam has helped me not to go for the bad boys... though every gril thinks they can be the one to change the bad ones is now always the case. chelsea seems like fun girl to be fun and great friend and mother and aubree is one lucky little girl. Hopefuly when she is old enough to understand why so many of us know who she and her mom are and has watched teen mom 2 she will understand why her mother documented so of her drama and that she helped and inspired so many girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Chelsea her dad baby and momma very much and now her big sis.

    ReplyDelete