Sunday, February 7, 2016

Placenta Encapsulation

I am not what you would call a "granola mom" or "crunchy mom."  Have you heard of that before?  The crunchy mothering style is a natural birth but home birth is better, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, make their own organic baby food, baby-led weaning, cloth diapering, kind of style. 

And I am about as far as you can get from all of that.  

While my daughter arrived by way of emergency c-section after 13 hours of natural labor, it was only because my water broke 3 weeks early, before I got the chance to discuss scheduling a c-section with my doctor so that I could just skip the whole labor thing completely.  And an unmedicated labor was not my idea!  It was only because the hospital would not allow me to have an epidural until I made it to 4 centimeters dilated, which I never made it to before my baby's heart rate started to drop at an alarming rate, resulting in an emergency c-section within 15 minutes.
I did not breastfeed, Isabelle is fully vaccinated, she wore disposable diapers, and I put her car seat on top of a good number of shopping carts when she was a baby.  However, I never let her "cry it out" because that is totally barbaric!  

So, placenta encapsulation is just not up my alley.  But my friend who owns Little Hoot Birth Services rocks that alley and everything in it!  She offers placenta encapsulation as part of her many birth services and asked if I'd be willing to take pictures of the process for her Facebook page!  I might not know the first thing about most everything to do with birth, but I do take pictures, and I would never pass up an opportunity to hang out with one of my closest friends who promises me wine. 

It also helped that I didn't have a clue what 'placenta encapsulation' meant before agreeing to take pictures.... because after everything got started, I spent the entire evening trying to hold onto my cookies.



Placenta encapsulation is when the mother ingests her placenta after delivery, after the placenta has been steamed, dehydrated, ground, and then put into pill form... repeat, pill form.
Ingesting it is supposed to help with post-partum depression, milk supply, and restores iron supply, just to name a few.  If you'd like a better description from a reputable website go HERE, it'll do a better job explaining it than I can, because honestly, this gives me the heebeejeebies and that's all I'd like to say about it.





While my mothering style did not include placenta encapsulation, and my child still turned out pretty darn well (so far), I just feel like all of us mother's are in this together, and we gotta do what we gotta do.  Heebeejeebies aside, it's this sort of thing that empowers mothers and keeps them healthy, and I think that is amazing!

Because being a mom is a really hard job and we need to stick together!

Just wait until your kiddo's are in middle school.

It's survival.  Pure.  Survival. 

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time i read such type of blogs,Its really useful for the users.Keep updated This type of blogs provide information to the users placenta encapsulation near me

    ReplyDelete