Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sick Doggie...

Isabelle and I woke up early this morning to a very sick dog.  Details include: diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, doggie-puke, and pure pitifulness, so I'll just spare you the details, but it was obvious that my fur-baby was very sick.

Normally, Brew is the absolute bestest, happiest dog!  We have the same routine every day, he knows to give me my space while I'm having my coffee, he eats breakfast, and then will torment Carley until I'm done with my coffee, make-up, and hair.  His tail is always wagging and he is always happy.  Not today though.  Today, he was shivering, weak, lethargic, and not interested in breakfast whatsoever.  Something was wrong and it was serious.



Yesterday, I bought Brew a ham bone from a pet store.  He's been so sad since Eric left, I thought a ham bone would cheer him up and keep him busy during the day so that I could concentrate on organizing closets.  And it did!  He tackled that bone for about 3 hours and then played/napped, napped/played for the rest of the day.  When I put him in his kennel at bed time he was fine.

When Isabelle and I woke up, Brew had gotten sick in his kennel... a lot sick, like my entire house stank sick and him and his kennel were covered top to bottom in the grossest, worst smelling crud I'd ever seen.... again, I'll spare you the details.  I spent 2 hours cleaning up his mess, but the mess kept getting worse and I wasn't making any progress or able to keep up with his vomiting/diarrhea.  It was obvious that he was in pain too.  

I called his vet clinic immediately.

Brew's doctor, Dr. Grant, is amazing!  I love her!  She is SO good at what she does!  She is the kind of person that when you meet her, she is instantly your friend.   



Normally, when Brew sees Dr. Grant, he can barely contain himself.  He just adores her!  But this morning, he was miserable.  She knew something was wrong when he didn't greet her like usual and he looked like this.  He wouldn't.... or couldn't.... move.



There was a concern that a hunk of ham bone was lodged somewhere in his intestinal tract causing the bloody diarrhea so he got an x-ray.  Thankfully, his x-ray was clear!  But, blood tests showed that he had an extremely high white blood cell count meaning a bacterial infection.  There was not a doubt in Dr's mind that his problem was caused by the ham bone and that it had completely thrown off his normal flora.  
She gave him two shots of some type of strong antibiotic, but my Brew also needed to hospitalized for the weekend, mostly for observation, but also just in case he got sicker.

He's in good hands, the best hands.  I am desperately hoping that by tomorrow he is BETTER!  And he is HOME!  I miss my dog....

No comments:

Post a Comment