Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Not Funny....

I have been seeing a lot of these pictures on my Facebook feed the last few days:



And I have been so very grateful to my Facebook friends for sharing them!  I wasn't going to blog about it because I was actually just not going to get on the internet at all today, but I felt a little nudge from the universe to say something.  So, here are my two cents on the fake pregnancy announcements for April Fools Day...


They aren't funny.  But then, I don't think any April Fools Day jokes are funny.  But fake pregnancy announcements are especially not funny.  Even putting aside mine and my husband's struggle for a second like we haven't been through what we've been through, these fake pregnancy announcements still aren't funny.  For one: it diminishes the joyousness of a pregnancy announcement when it is for real.  And two: they just aren't funny!  

Millions of couples would do anything, give anything, are trying anything, crying, begging, praying, and anything else you can imagine just to have the experience of announcing a pregnancy.  A fake announcement just for a reaction is telling those women that what they are going through doesn't matter, so much so that it's perfectly fine to joke about it and take it for granted, for no good reason except to say "April Fools!," as if that cancels out the hurtful part of it and instead makes it funny.  It's doesn't.

My point is not about telling people what/what not to post on their Facebook, and I would never delete someone just because they have a terrible sense of humor.  For me, it's just about compassion.  When someone is deep in their struggle, compassion goes a long way.  Most of y'all reading this know Eric and I personally and know what we've been through.  We want nothing more than for those of you that are blessed to have been pregnant, have healthy take-home babies, and those of you that get to watch them grow, please do not take it for granted!  You have been so richly blessed.  And we would never joke about your blessings.

"Our human compassion binds us the one to the other - not in pity or patronizingly, but as human beings who have learnt how to turn our common suffering into hope for the future." ~Nelson Mandela


No comments:

Post a Comment