Sunday, April 21, 2013

Gone is Gone

I've just got to get through this week and then my guy will be HOME! 



And I can hardly wait!  I have missed him like crazy.

Eric has been at Ft Lee, Virginia for BOLC for 4 months.  It's been a long 4 months.  He wasn't in any danger, we got to talk to each other every day, text throughout the day and at night, and Isabelle and I got to visit him for a long weekend in Washington, D.C.  So, maybe being apart this long doesn't sound like a big deal.... but for us, it was.  

It has been 10 weeks since we visited Eric in D.C and this has been the longest that we have ever been apart.  We don't do things separately and aren't used to being apart {we're a couple that have a blast going grocery shopping together!}.  Eric has a life in Virginia that Isabelle and I aren't apart of, and our life here hasn't included him.  Eric has missed Brew getting sick in January, the carbon monoxide detectors going off in our house in February, my birthday in March, Easter with our nieces, and the gazillion things I've had to do for our PCS to Germany.  
I have missed everyday things and frustrations that my guy is going through.  I have tried to absorb as much of his frustration as possible, but there is only so much I can do over the phone, and it breaks my heart.  Eric and I figure things out together and having to deal with normal frustrations, 1300 miles apart, has been difficult.  My only comfort is knowing that he has not been in any danger.

Eric and I don't ever want to get used to being apart.  I'm sure that in a way, we'll have to a little.  But we don't want to get completely used to or comfortable with being apart. 

These last 4 months have taught me a little about the Army, but a lot about being an Army wife.  I've learned that whether he's gone for deployment, work, or training, gone is gone.  Whether he's gone for weeks, months, or a year, gone is gone.  I've learned that I am allowed to have moments to be sad and I'm allowed to miss him like crazy, and I don't need to feel bad about it.    

Isabelle and I have learned so much that I can't help but think that the universe is preparing us for lots more separations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment